Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Making good on a goof


Last weekend, while painting a Christmas mini-sock for an order, I did something I very rarely do--I miscounted. Nuts! A 9 x 10 inch piece of canvas went by the wayside, and I cut another one--and this time I didn't goof!

Sitting at my painting table this morning, bemoaning my poor discarded canvas, I suddenly had an idea for a new mini-sock design. Better yet, I had a name for it: "Victoria." What's in a name, you may well ask. For me, everything! My stitching cronies who are privy to the machinations of my designing mind will tell you that without the right name for a new design, I'm just not ready to take the plunge and stitch!

So here it is: a woven-ribbon pattern that incorporates many of the motifs of a Victorian Christmas mini-sock. Holly, rosebuds, filigree and tartan plaid have been threaded through a background that right now looks decidedly white. Ahh--that's just to save my poor old eyes. I see a lot of black Petite Very Velvet in my future to make this design as opulent as any turn-of-the-century Christmas decoration! Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. I like this a lot! Using the PVV behind the ribbons should really make them"Victorian shimmer and shine" - opulent!! It'll be entertaining to watch - I'll go put on some tea now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne,

    Seems promising to me. will be watching closely (big grin)

    Pierrette =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne,

    I love this little stocking!

    Very pretty with lot's of motifs to stitch. :-)

    Yes, definitely a petite Very Velvet background and lot's of glitzy metallics. Ummmm....

    Cynthia
    Windy Meadow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad a mistake led to this beautiful little stocking. I was thinking white PVV, but black is definitely the way to go. So much detail in a tiny design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice save!

    Can't wait to see how this one comes together.

    ReplyDelete