
Pedro the penguin is decked out in his finery for the Cinco de Mayo fiesta!
Before I could dress him, I needed to finish his body, adding the black Petite Very Velvet in basketweave. I used Silk & Ivory "Big Orange," which covers 18-count canvas perfectly in upright gobelin stitches for his beak and satin stitches for the flippers. The loft of this silk/wool thread also provides some dimension to these two areas.
For his sombrero, I used DMC #5 perle cotton #739 in basketweave for the crown and diagonal mosaic stitch for the brim. DMC #5 perle cotton #321 was used as an accent and as the ties to hold his sombrero on in a stiff wind!
Stitching Pedro's serape was a trip down memory lane! I pulled from my stash some Tweedie 18, since replaced by Rainbow Gallery with Tweed. I remember purchasing the red at least 14 years ago at my old LNS in Connecticut for a Santa suit! This thread is 100% wool, with a rough heathery look to make a perfect blanket. I used three different colors in tent stitch and slanted gobelin stitch over two threads here.
Not a lot of stitching left to go--this little penguin should be finished by the end of the week!
The textures are great! The poncho looks just like the wool they use on those things. I also like the hat - such a simple stitch, and it looks like a straw sombrero! I look forward now to seeing the cacti!
ReplyDeleteA long time ago, my sons had hooded sweatshirts from Mexico which looked just like this. Great stitching, by the way!
ReplyDeleteQue bonito!
ReplyDelete