
It would be impossible to design a series of ornaments based on The Nutcracker ballet without including the Mouse King. His battle with the Nutcracker in Act I is the catalyst for the dream sequence which continues through the second act of the ballet. It was the one ornament I dreaded designing, however, for a simple reason: I loathe mice!
Living in Connecticut for so many years, and now in Massachusetts, it's inevitable that the occasional field mouse will make an unwanted appearance. DH and I have had a long-standing agreement: he gets rid of the mice and I get rid of snakes. Yes, we had several slithering visitors when we lived in Texas!
Gritting my teeth, I began with his pose--one arm raised in a call to battle--dressed him in royal purple and gave him a regal crown. By the time I was finished, I actually liked the little guy, and look forward to bringing him to life!
I also loathe mice and snakes, and we had an abundance in east Texas of both. However - your little mouse king is wonderful and has personality, as usual. I'm sure he will begin to really sparkle when you stitch him.
ReplyDeleteI share the feeling about mice and snakes, and would add chipmunks, after one got into the furnace/air conditioning ducts this year. Phew.. But this little guy looks regal already, and it will be fun to watch you stitch him.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering where the Mouse King had got to - I'm glad you have got to him, and more particularly that you like him!
ReplyDelete