
Liam, the country gentleman, is ready for a walk in the woods or a stroll to the stables!
When I finished stitching his tweed coat, I moved on to the trousers. For this area, I used a thread new to me: Annabelle's Playhouse, which is made of 100% worsted wool. It's manufactured by Rosebud's Studio, which also produces Felicity's Garden, but the two threads are as different as night and day.
Annabelle's Playhouse is a heavy thread--too thick for basketweave on 18 ct. canvas but fine for 13 ct. canvas. It will work, however, for decorative stitches on 18 ct. canvas, especially if you switch to a larger needle as I did. Worked in a slanted gobelin stitch over two threads, Annabelle's Playhouse provided a nice heathery effect for the trousers.
The pocket handkerchief was worked in tent-stitch stripes with DMC floss #991 and 434 to highlight the green and rust shades in Liam's scarf. I added fringe to the ends of the scarf with some looped turkey work using Sheep's Silk "Acorn Woods." With the addition of a button for his coat, Liam is good to go!
What an interesting study in textures this project was! I have one more gentleman in this series to develop before moving on to something completely different, so stay tuned.
Love this! Looks great. Wish you had an option for me to share on twitter to draw some more traffic to your site! I love sharing your finished projects! Can't wait to see the next in the series!
ReplyDeleteHe looks snug as a bug in a rug for winter. Nice job with all these textures, Anne.
ReplyDeleteWill the gentlemen be available at any time soon? They are so debonair that I must add them to my collection.
ReplyDelete"Soon" is a relative term, Edy! I'm not done with the series yet, and I've been told stitch guides would be helpful. With everything else on my plate, I'm thinking Spring '12 is a good bet for canvases w/stitch guides.
ReplyDeleteI love the various textures you've gotten with needle and thread on canvas. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteAnother fabulous finish! And I love the touch of color in the handkerchief to go with the scarf. No one does details like you!
ReplyDelete