Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ticking off another project


The tall case clock canvas is finished! All that remained to be stitched were the wallpaper and the top of the clock, which I managed to squeeze in around other chores the end of this week.

The one area that caused me a bit of concern was stitching the brass finials on the top of the clock. I wanted them to stand out from the wallpaper and also try to make the balls in the center look somewhat rounded as they are in the original Simon Willard clock I was adapting. So I grabbed some doodle canvas and the Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #221 to work out the right stitches.

Each finial was stitched in a three-stage process. The spike at the top is a vertical oblong cross stitch. The ball is stitched in a Smyrna cross variation, while the base is a single cross stitch.

I'm really pleased with the way this canvas turned out. It was a bit tricky keeping each element in its proper perspective, but by adjusting the types and weights of threads used, I think I've succeeded!

6 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful thing, and I do look forward to more clocks PLEASE! The crown moulding with dentil frieze is great, as is the bas relief of the wainscoting - ingenious! I also like the finials - was wondering how you'd achieve that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,

    The clock turned out very nice.

    I saw that it is indicating either noon or the dreadful midnight in horror movies.

    I may have seen too many spooky movies in my youth. (grinning)

    Pierrette =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. You succeeded very well! This is just perfect. And, like Judy, I hope we're going to see a couple more of these beautiful clocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Nice! Look forward to seeing more too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have achieved your vision perfectly. I love learning your techniques and secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. I do love it and it looks so real.

    ReplyDelete