Sunday, September 26, 2010

Finishing the background


After finishing the blue center sections, I moved on to the four corners, stitching sand in basketweave with DMC cotton floss #3033. I then added some seafoam using Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #032 in French knots.

Now for some top stitching! The seaweed was worked in stem stitch with one strand of Watercolours "Evergreen." I then added little sea "treasures" with French knots and Smyrna crosses in three different values of blue floss in the same color family.

At this point, I need to decide if my stitching is completed--I don't want to start sewing on any trinkets before I'm really ready for them!

4 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is a beauty - a tiny treasure! I really like the effect of the sand and sea foam - and clear blue-green water.

Rachel said...

Delightful! And you certainly don't want to be stitching when the trinkets are on there. They do get in the way!

threadmedley said...

I love the look of water and sand. Each of these little valentines are so very different, but so much fun as well. They would be great mementos for people who have visited the Cape and want to remember the sand and ocean feel.

Cool City Stitcher said...

You've gotten great effects for the water and sand, complete with foam. Very nice!