Sunday, May 22, 2016
Work along the top of the stocking below the cuff has reached the half-way mark. The vines are filled with Vineyard Silk Classic Bark and Kreinik #12 tapestry braid 002V in tent stitches and basketweave. The tassel in the center uses the same threads in an encroaching Gobelin stitch.
One bird has been stitched so far, using the same white and gray Silk Lame Braid for 18 ct. and in the same encroaching Gobelin stitch used for the angel's wings. I'll add the bird's eye and beak later when the other bird is finished.
I'll need to get more Kreinik thread to finish this section as well as some thread to work the angel's hair. Then the canvas will move one more time on the stretcher bars so I can work on the cuff.
Tuesday, May 17, 2016
There hasn't been a lot of time to stitch this stocking lately: other commitments and yard work seem to be getting in the way. But the background for the top of the stocking is now completed with Petite Very Velvet V604.
I've started to fill in the vines with Vineyard Silk Classic Bark and Kreinik #12 tapestry braid 002V, worked all in basketweave so progress is slow. At this point, I just need to keep chipping away!
Thursday, May 12, 2016
Starting in on the background at the top of the canvas, I turned the stretcher bars upside-down to make it easier to reach. The treatment here is the same as the toe of the stocking: Petite Very Velvet V604 in basketweave. It's the kind of stitching best done in good light, lest all those faint white lines around the birds get accidentally covered.
Going around all those vines can get a little tedious, so when I'd reached the half-way mark, I added the name to the cuff of the stocking. The chart for this, like the three other stockings before it, was provided by Needle Nicely in Vero Beach, Florida (www.needlenicely.blogspot.com). I stuck a piece of paper behind the name before taking the photo so you could see the lettering more clearly.
Back to the background and filling in!
Monday, May 9, 2016
After moving up the canvas on stretcher bars, I started filling in the little bit of white remaining when I ran out of thread as well as all the gray shaded areas. The wings are all worked in Silk Lame Braid for 18 ct. in an encroaching Gobelin stitch.
I'm really happy with the way the wings turned out. There's plenty of contrast between the color of the background and the white of the wings, and the encroaching Gobelin stitch gives the wings a higher profile.
Time to move up to the arched area over the angel's head!
Wednesday, May 4, 2016
With the addition of the lower wing section, the bottom of the Ivory Angel canvas is finished!
This section was worked in an encroaching Gobelin stitch with white and gray Silk Lame Braid for 18 ct. I stitched as closely as I could to the top of the stretcher bars, but now it's time to reposition the canvas.