Sunday, February 20, 2011

Galloping into the sunset


The twelfth and final canvas in the series based on The Nutcracker ballet is finished: Fritz is ready to romp and create havoc at the family's holiday party!

After finishing the background, I worked his trousers in gray Petite Very Velvet in basketweave. I know--the canvas was painted navy blue like his jacket--but I decided keeping the pants the same color would make the overall canvas look too dark. Another reason why I never paint a master until I've finished stitching the model!

All that remained was the hobby horse! I used Felicity's Garden "Peanut Butter" in basketweave for the head, trimmed with black DMC floss. For the mane, I chose a brown Burmilana, stitching this area first in basketweave then adding turkey work loops at the top. I then cut the loops and brushed them with an old toothbrush--simple, yet effective!

5 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

Well done! I've enjoyed this trip through the Nutcracker Suite. Each character is a delight. Thanks for reviving sweet memories.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

This has been a great series, Anne. I have enjoyed watching it come to life thoroughly! Thank you very much for sharing the creative process.

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful finish! And I love that you changed the color of his pants. The gray is definitely better. This has been a fantastic voyage through the Nutcracker and we've learned a lot of history as well as a lot of stitching ideas. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Love the mane - great use of turkey work!

Edy said...

Love his grey pants. Makes him a little more up to date...you know, Business Casual.
I've done similar stuff with horse manes...it' so easy, and really perks up the sork.