Saturday, February 18, 2012

The second time around


It's been a busy week: the column for the upcoming Needlepoint Now issue was approved and the next column submitted, plus an order to paint and another trunk show to get ready for. But I've made a little headway on the Bass Harbor Head lighthouse canvas, beginning with the lighthouse itself.

The first time I stitched this, I used DMC cotton floss in Scotch stitches for the tower. Here I've switched to white DMC #5 perle cotton in diagonal oblong cross stitches over two threads, with the canvas turned 90 degrees. Now I still have the look of bricks but in a much more appropriate scale for the size of the building. The perle cotton also provides a higher profile so the tower will stand out better against the sky.

The sky, too, is getting a change: instead of the diagonal mosaic stitch I used originally, I'm needle-blending this time. Starting at the top of the canvas with four plies of DMC floss #3755, I worked basketweave seven threads deep, staggering the bottom stitches. I've started the next row across with three plies of DMC floss #3755 and one ply of DMC floss #3325. I'll be back with another photo when the sky is completed!

2 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

I love the changes.. the lighthouse seems to 'stand out' more in this one.

sudu said...

like the changes too especially the sky!