Tuesday, October 8, 2013
A star-spangled hat
Happy to report Santa's second cheek stitched up pretty well, after needle-blending it with two values of pink DMC floss. In needle-blending, you need to remember that two pieces, stitched with the same combination of plies, will never look the same. When you combine two plies each of two different values, your chances are 50-50 as to which value will rise to the top as the floss plays through the needle. I finished stitching Santa's nose and mouth, then decided to work on his hat.
Funny, the things we inherit from our parents! I have my father to thank for whatever artistic ability I may have. From my mother, I inherited a dislike for the colors red and yellow mixed together, which is basically the way the stars on this canvas are painted. Not a problem! I outlined each star with tent stitches and worked each "speckle" in cross stitches with Kreinik #12 tapestry braiid #002, then filled in the center of the stars with Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #102. The result: super-twinkle!
The fancy collar on Santa's robe that peeks out on each side of his shoulders was worked in a diagonal mosaic stitch with Vineyard Silk Classic "Berry." I outlined this area with the #002 braid and filled the centers with #102 braid using either a Leviathan variation or Smyrna crosses.
The teddy bear's body was stitched in basketweave with Burmilana, with the muzzle and sole of his foot stitched with Petite Very Velvet. Black Burmilana was used for his mouth and the pad on his foot, while Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #005 worked up in Smyrna crosses provided the eyes. I used the same black metallic for the snowman's face, after stitching his body in basketweave with Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #5760. Orange DMC floss in a satin stitch formed his nose. So far, so good!