Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A wild and hairy guy


Santa has a beard--a lot of beard!  This section took quite a bit of time to stitch, but I'm happy with the result.

The beard was worked with DMC Medici wool, the same thread as Santa's hair and eyebrows, using two strands of white and gray in a long-short/split stitch.  I actually stitched the gray areas first so I'd know where to fill in with the white.  The only tricky places were around the Christmas tree, where upright Gobelin stitches over one or two threads were all that would fit.

His cheeks look rosier now that he has his beard in place!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is looking fab-u-lous and oh so festive.

Needle Nicely said...

I love the long/short split stitch. I think getting used to its randomness is what intimidates many stitchers.