Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A downtime project


Wouldn't you know it?--the canvas I've been waiting for is back-ordered.  Nuts!  So I pulled out the last angel canvas gifted to me by a now-retired stitcher.  It's an "angel bulb" designed by Joan Thomasson, originally painted with a red dress, white background behind the halo, and blonde hair.

As you can see, I've changed the colors to customize it for the recipient.  The overdress was worked in purple Petite Very Velvet in basketweave.  The dress itself was stitched in basketweave using three strands of DMC floss to accomodate a blackwork pattern using Kreinik #4 very fine braid #023.

To make the angel stand out a little more, I needle-blended the background, starting with DMC floss #3325 at the top and ending at the top of the wings with DMC floss #3841.

The cap of the ornament was worked in a diagonal oblong cross stitch with Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #102, while the same thread provided the halo in a woven stitch.  The angel's hair was worked in a satin stitch with two strands of "vintage" DMC Medici wool, with one strand used over three canvas threads for eyebrows.

2 comments: