Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hitting the floor running

Despite my being in paint-by-day, stitch-at-night mode, the floor is finally finished!

By the time I finished the last stripe, the canvas was badly racked on the scroll bars.  The thickness of the stitched canvas wadded up on the bars on the left side of the canvas created a bubble on the right side of the canvas at the level with the toe of the stocking.  So I took the canvas off the scroll bars and mounted the bottom on stretcher bars to regain a taut stitching surface.

The squares were stitched in basketweave with off-white and deep forest green Silk Lame Braid to simulate the look of marble tiles.  The flowers were worked in Smyrna cross stitches using red Impressions, with satin stitches of medium green Impressions forming the leaves.

I'll need to move the canvas up on the stretcher bars to finish some stitching that I didn't want to get crushed, and then the stocking will be completed.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Needle Nicely said...

That "bubble" is why I prefer stretcher bars. When I did my 30" nutcracker, I used 15x15 stretcher bars and moved the canvas 3 times.