Saturday, December 26, 2009
Poor Macquarie Lightstation! For days I've been picking it up, stitching a little bit, then putting it down to attend to holiday chores. When I finally had a minute to take a photo today, I realized it was a little more than half finished!
The tower itself was stitched with white DMC cotton floss, mostly in basketweave with a few decorative stitches for architectural elements--satin stitch for the dome of the lantern room, gobelin stitches over two threads for the foundation of the railing and the molding underneath it.
The sky is in the process of needle-blending and it, too, is almost finished! I began at the top with four plies of DMC floss #597, then added DMC #598 and 3811 in a 3/1, 2/2, 1/3 combination of plies. I'm currently at two plies of DMC #598 and two plies of DMC #3811--I'll finish off the left side with one ply of DMC #598 and three plies of #3811, and end the right side with four plies of #3811.
When I've finished stitching the lighthouse itself, I can complete the sky and then add the shading as well as the weather vane and railing.