Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Nary a cloud in the sky


I started stitching the Seul Choix Point lighthouse with the tower itself, basketweaving with white DMC cotton floss down past the tree line so I could work on the sky.

Once again the sky is needle-blended , but this time I was hoping to create the impression of predominantly deep blue. Starting at the top of the canvas with DMC floss #3755, I worked down just past the lowest green railing before adding lighter values of blue. The next sections, stitched over approximately six threads deep, used the following formula:

Row 1: DMC floss #3755 - 3 plies; DMC floss #3325 - 1 ply
Row 2: DMC floss #3755 - 2 plies; DMC floss #3325 - 2 plies
Row 3: DMC floss #3755 - 1 ply; DMC floss #3325 - 3 plies
Row 4: DMC floss #3325 - four plies
Row 5: DMC floss #3325 - three plies; DMC floss #3841 - 1 ply

I'll continue to work on the tower, adding the architectural details which make this lighthouse so colorful and distinctive, and then move on to the keeper's house!

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I'm still learning from watching - the sky is beautiful. I like the way it lightens a lot at the bottom almost suddenly. I look forward to architectural details, which always make it come alive.

pamelaric said...

I have been reading your blog for some time now and want to let you know how very much I have learned from it. This is like having a teacher in my home with me. It is truly appreciated. I feel like I can tackle so many more stitchy things now.
Thank you very much,
Pamela
Tucson

Anne Stradal said...

Thank YOU, Pamela! It's nice to know my love for needlepoint can be contagious!