Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Argyle


My mind was thinking over-time as I stitched on the "country" mini-sock, and this is one of the designs I was toying with. It's an argyle pattern, which gets its name from the tartan of Clan Campbell of Argyll in western Scotland.

After World War I, the argyle pattern became popularized in Britain by the Duke of Windsor, an avid golfer who wore tops and socks in this pattern when he took to the links. His socks were more subdued than this one, which I've designed in colors suitable for a "modern" young gentleman.

Fair warning! There'll be a lot of basketweaving going on here to give the canvas an "authentic" look, but I'll be adding a few other details to provide some additional texture. So stay tuned!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always a very easily identifiable pattern - I'll be interested to see how you re-create it in needlepoint!

Cool City Stitcher said...

I remember knitting a few pairs of these.. eager to watch you stitch them.

Anonymous said...

Little stitch ideas are popping into my head as I look at this. This will be a lot of fun to watch!

Cyn said...

Looking forward to seeing how you are going to stitch your new sock!

Cynthia