Monday, September 23, 2013

The tail end of a long-term project

Another finish for 2013--the "Toyland Rocking Horse" canvas is completed!

My favorite part of the design is the ballerina doll, and I'd promised myself to save it for last.  So after working the bodice of her dress in diagonal oblong cross stitches with white DMC floss, I moved up to work the tail of the rocking horse.  Like the mane, the tail was worked in long/short split stitches with two strands of white DMC Medici wool.  A single strand of tan Burmilana was added in random long stitches for shading.

The bow was worked in encroaching gobelin stitches with Vineyard Silk Classic "Deep Wisteria" and "Gothic Grape."  I then moved back to the doll, completing the skirt with more diagonal oblong cross stitches.

Finally--time to take the canvas off the stretcher bars to finish the background at top and bottom with Vineyard Silk Classic "Tea" in the Nobuko stitch.  This was such a fun canvas to stitch, albeit a rather large project measuring 17 by 19 inches.  It took about five months, on and off, to finish--slowly but surely, one section at a time.



Needle Nicely said...

Great job! What a joy to look at--and I really want to rub the velvet horse body.

Jan said...

Fantastic job, Anne! My favorite part is the rocking horse. The mane and tail look superb!!