Sunday, March 13, 2016

Ivory Angel - A milestone

The background is finished!  With this much accomplished, it's pretty much pure play from here on.

All the little design elements that were a bit of a blur--where the wings start and stop and the outline of her robe--are now a lot clearer.  Working down toward the toe of the stocking, I noticed that there are actually three layers to the angel's costume:  the robe, her dress and an underskirt.  I'll need to factor in the weight of the thread used for each of these areas to achieve some depth to her costume.

As a reward, I worked one arm of her chair.  Since it's been painted in brown tones, I decided to make it a wooden chair but changing the lighter elements to a metallic to simulate gilding.  Two brown shades of DMC #5 perle cotton provide a harder appearance and contrast well against the softer background thread and what I plan to use for the robe.  Kreinik #12 tapestry braid 002V  was used for the gilding.

1 comment:

Needle Nicely said...

The chair with its gilding is making a wonderful contrast.