Monday, December 29, 2008
I can't believe I finally finished the Central Park piece! The only section remaining was the central cab scene, but there was a lot of detail to be stitched.
The cabs and horses were stitched in black and white Trio, mostly in basketweave, with a little Scotch stitch variation for the horse blanket and blinders. The street lamps were worked in a satin/Scotch stitch in Kreinik #12 tapestry braid - #032 - and outlined in black floss. Finally, the reins were added with one ply of black floss.
I've added a photo of the enlargement of the original drawing (left) so you can compare it with my final needlepoint interpretation. This project was as much a learning experience for me as it was a sentimental journey. I'm pleased with my results, and hope you will be, too!
I'm looking forward to my next project--the design "Nippon Textures" by Gail Hendrix--a subject about as far removed culturally from Central Park as you can get! It also contains something I've been missing for the last six weeks of stitching--COLOR!