Amazing, isn't it, what a little outlining can do!
After my last post, I finished stitching the angel fish in Judy Harper's original canvas colors. A reader had suggested that I change the colors of the fish so they'd stand out more, but I loved the way the blues and greens blended so well together. Judy e-mailed me to explain that black and silvery angel fish are found in fresh water, whereas angel fish in salt water, where sea horses are found, are more vibrantly colored.
Next it was time to choose a suitable color for the outline. I experimented by laying a variety of blues and greens against the canvas, finally selecting the DMC #5 perle cotton #991--the dark green which appears within the fish that had been stitched in basketweave with floss. Within a short time, the little angel fish went from obscurity to prominence and is now ready to play with the big guys!
I'm back in the water now, filling in the background around the final fish. I've now gone through two skeins each of the DMC cotton floss #518 and #3848 and one spool of the Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #006--pretty good mileage so far--and have plenty of thread to finish the background. But you can be sure that after I pull the colors for the third fish, my first order of business will be to outline it first!