Monday, August 31, 2009
The case of the disappearing angel fish
The good news is, the seahorse is finished! The bad news is, I've started the angel fish!
When I finished stitching the seahorse, I added the bit of seaweed his tail is wrapped around using Petite Very Velvet V623. So far, so good. I finished stitching the background surrounding the angel fish, and happily dumped a bunch of skeins of DMC cotton floss on the table to figure out what I'd need.
Judy Harper's original painting canvas of the angel fish was executed in beautiful shades of primarily blues and greens, which I loved and hoped to duplicate. For every three shades of aqua I chose, I had to discard two because they were too close to the background blended floss. Finally I had my selection and started to stitch the different segments of the fish in their respective colors. Before my eyes, the little angel fish gradually began to disappear!
What I hadn't taken into account was just how vibrant the orange DMC #5 perle cotton was that I'd used to define the ridges on the seahorse. One fish now packed a punch; the other was wishy-washy, despite using colors that were far from timid. Solution: finish stitching the rest of the angel fish, then go back and outline it with perle cotton to make it, too, stand out.
I haven't yet decided which color to select for the outlining, but it will hopefully be in place by the next time I post so the poor angel fish can re-emerge from the deep!