Thursday, December 30, 2010

One dilemma solved


I figured out the solution to one problem: making the background of the Waltz of the Flowers canvas twinkle without being sickeningly sweet. Instead of using a pink metallic thread, for which the canvas was originally painted, I chose Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #201--a combination of gold and silver, which sparkles nicely in the pale green background without detracting from the dancers themselves.

With the top part of the background done, I moved on to the dancers' hair, worked in satin stitch with three different shades of brown Burmilana. Then I added the leaves in their hair with DMC floss #501.

The flowers in their hair will have to wait until I've chosen the thread for the "petal" part of their costumes so I can pick just the right shade of pink. The petal thread has been added to the "stem" thread on my shopping list for my trip to my LNS!

4 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Lovely! I adore pinks myself but I can see one can have too much pink. Sometimes. LOL

This is my favorite of the series. I just love the little girls all dancing in a row!

Cool City Stitcher said...

I agree.. truly lovely! It reminds me of delicate porcelain. Your colors are beautiful.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

They are charming!! I can hear the music, as always, when looking at them.

Rachel said...

Very glad to see a suitable solution to the background challenge - it works beautifully!