Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ready to waltz!


With my costume dilemma solved, the Waltz of the Flowers canvas is finished!

My first step was to rip out the Silk & Ivory I'd originally used on the bodice of the central dancer's costume--it just was too "woolly." A trip to my LNS solved all my costume problems, however.

I found an exact color match to the S & I in Vineyard Silk Classics "Seagrass," which provided the sheen I was looking for. Both bodice and "petals" were worked in a satin stitch. To define the top and waist of the bodice and to separate the petals, I used Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #088 in tent stitch.

The skirts were worked in Wildflowers "Apple Blossom" in a diagonal upright oblong cross stitch. All that remained was to add some flowers in French knots to the dancers' hair and toe slippers in tent stitch, using DMC pink cotton floss, and I was finished!

6 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

Beautiful piece! They're just waiting for the 'beat' to begin dancing. I love the colors.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

That skirt treatment is outstanding!! I'll have to go back several times and study the beautiful details of this one. I really like the colors, as well as the textures.

Needle Nicely said...

Your color selections combine beautifully with your design to convey the mood--and toes want to start dancing! Thanks for delightful and informative post this past year.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

These are still my favorites of the set. They are delightful, Anne. But now I can't wait to hear who's next....

threadmedley said...

The Kreinik really does work well. And the girls' costumes are wonderful! Another superb finish.

Rachel said...

I love the costumes now they're done!