Sunday, May 8, 2011

More progress on "Nantucket"


Since my last post, I've finished the center scene on the Sailor's Valentine. I raided my stash of DMC cotton floss to construct the buildings along the wharf.

The two chimneys and three doors have a stitch in common: the spring stitch, essentially an upright oblong cross stitch that's then tied down with one or two horizontal stitches. All of the windows were worked in tent or mosaic stitches with Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #9200. I could have used gray floss here, but decided the little glint of metallic made the buildings look more inviting.

For the wharf itself, I chose a brown Burmilana in a slanted gobelin stitch. I used three strands instead of the usual two because I wanted the wharf to project from the buildings and add to the depth of the scene. I've started to stitch the outside of the octagon in Petite Very Velvet in basketweave, in preparation for adding some embellishments.

Wishing all of you mothers out there a happy day! May you get lots of stitching done, as I plan to do!

2 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

I love it! You've gotten a lot done in just a few days.. well done!

Rachel said...

Just enough interesting yet subtle textural variation - well done!