Friday, July 1, 2011

Raising the roof


Moving on to the Eldred Rock lighthouse itself, I reached another "layer" in which to add to the depth of the canvas. Here I used DMC #5 perle cotton, a tad heavier in weight than the Impressions I used in the tree line, so the profile of the lighthouse would stand out from that area.

The black on the lantern room and the red roof were worked in a combination of tent and slanted gobelin stitches. The white areas were worked in basketweave. The beacon itself was stitched with Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #221 in a vertical oblong cross stitch over two threads.

Next I'll be working on the far shore line, the water behind the lighthouse, and the grassy knoll upon which it sits. I'm not sure how much stitching I'll get done over the holiday weekend, but I'll give it my best shot!

2 comments:

threadmedley said...

This is coming along beautifully! Each detail makes the piece so much better. Hope you're able to get a little more done over the holiday, but will wait patiently for more.

Cool City Stitcher said...

This is such a unique scene and I love the effect you've achieved.