Thursday, July 14, 2011

Working from the outside in


Following through on the theme of a nautical garden for this Sailor's Valentine, I chose a shell pink shade of Petite Very Velvet to work the outside of the octagon.

Original Sailor's Valentines created in the 1800s often used silk or velvet to line the octagonal boxes in which shells and seeds were placed. The Petite Very Velvet will provide a nice plush bed for further embellishment.

I'll fill in the blank area next before digging out my shells and planning their placement!

2 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

Lovely! I'm eager to see this one develop.

Anonymous said...

I love the colors you've used so far. Soft and pleasing. The empty spaces will probably be a different thread, but I don't know what it will be. Embellishments will have to be tiny for this one too. So many possiblities.