Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Happy New Year!
Since my last post, I've been up to my ears cooking for a houseful of menfolk--a situation I actually welcomed, since my two sons visiting for the holidays do love Ma's home-cooking! But I did manage to sneak in some stitching, working on the beginning of a background for the angel.
The fact that the lion isn't centered on the angel did bother me, and I thought long and hard about how to remedy the problem. I've decided to create a "scene" behind the angel to pull the design together, and my first step was to create a sky. And, as I'm so fond of doing, I chose to stitch the sky by needle-blending!
Since the canvas is so tall, I turned it upside down to make stitching easier and began at the horizon, working up to the top of the canvas. I used five consecutive values of blue DMC cotton floss--#775, 3841, 3325, 3755 and 334--to gradually intensify the sky as it naturally appears. Using four plies of floss, I began at the horizon with DMC floss #775, stitching seven canvas threads deep across the canvas and staggering the bottom stitches of basketweave so a line wouldn't be created. After stitching straight across the canvas, I subtracted one ply of DMC floss #775 and added one ply of DMC floss #3841 to the mix, repeating the process.
When I finished stitching the section with four plies of DMC floss #3841, I started adding one ply of the next value--DMC floss #3325. By the time I reached the top of the canvas, I was using two plies of DMC floss #3755 and two plies of DMC floss #334. Voila!--a realistic-looking sky!