Sunday, June 2, 2013
Still waiting for my background thread to arrive for the Toyland Rocking Horse canvas, I've been working on other areas that needed filling in. Isn't this a cute toy soldier?
His sash had already been stitched with Petite Very Velvet and his pants worked in an encroaching gobelin stitch with Impressions. I gave him a helmet of Petite Very Velvet, accented with Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #002 that I also used for his epaulets and belt buckle.
His tunic was worked in a diagonal oblong cross stitch with two strands of DMC Medici wool that I've had in my stash for at least 15 years. The brown DMC Medici wool that I used for his hair and mustache is probably of the same vintage!
Moving on to the rocker, I used two shades of brown Burmilana in basketweave for the end, with the lighter shade filling in between the gold accent stripe with an encroaching gobelin stitch to simulate the look of wood grain. This stitch looks good but takes forever to work up!