Monday, February 8, 2010

A cheery, cherry-red tower


The tower of Jeffrey's Hook lighthouse is now completed--a cheery color for a cold winter day and very appropriate for Valentine's Day soon approaching!

The supports under the railing were worked in a satin stitch with DMC floss #666, with shading provided by DMC floss #321. The rest of the tower was stitched in basketweave. The windows were filled in with tent stitches with DMC floss #645.

All that remains are the trees in the background, the grass and the short fence in the foreground, which I hope to finish in the next couple of days.

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Very nice!! I especially like the subtlety of the two reds on the tower - and the nobuko foundation. Will look forward to the grass!

Cyn said...

Hi Anne,

Great job! And I'm loving that bright red right now. With all of the snow we have here (26+ inches) and with another 10 to 20 on it's way on Tuesday into Wednesday, I need a bright color pick me up! :-)

Whats' next? Hopefully a lighthouse in a warm and balmy location? Without any snow! LOL!!!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Edy said...

Loving my favorite lighthouse.

And for your next project -- the lighthouse in Lake Michigan at the foot of the Milwuakee River. --It's a white building and quite impressive. I will see if any of my photos came out good enough for you to use.