Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Dressed for the fiesta!


Pedro the penguin is decked out in his finery for the Cinco de Mayo fiesta!

Before I could dress him, I needed to finish his body, adding the black Petite Very Velvet in basketweave. I used Silk & Ivory "Big Orange," which covers 18-count canvas perfectly in upright gobelin stitches for his beak and satin stitches for the flippers. The loft of this silk/wool thread also provides some dimension to these two areas.

For his sombrero, I used DMC #5 perle cotton #739 in basketweave for the crown and diagonal mosaic stitch for the brim. DMC #5 perle cotton #321 was used as an accent and as the ties to hold his sombrero on in a stiff wind!

Stitching Pedro's serape was a trip down memory lane! I pulled from my stash some Tweedie 18, since replaced by Rainbow Gallery with Tweed. I remember purchasing the red at least 14 years ago at my old LNS in Connecticut for a Santa suit! This thread is 100% wool, with a rough heathery look to make a perfect blanket. I used three different colors in tent stitch and slanted gobelin stitch over two threads here.

Not a lot of stitching left to go--this little penguin should be finished by the end of the week!

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

The textures are great! The poncho looks just like the wool they use on those things. I also like the hat - such a simple stitch, and it looks like a straw sombrero! I look forward now to seeing the cacti!

Cool City Stitcher said...

A long time ago, my sons had hooded sweatshirts from Mexico which looked just like this. Great stitching, by the way!

Edy said...

Que bonito!