Saturday, May 15, 2010
Raising the roof
The sky is finished, and I've learned a lesson: choose color families wisely when needle-blending! Too much discrepancy between DMC floss #813 and the next value, DMC #827, has created more of a line in the sky than I'd like to see. I'm hoping that the eye will be distracted away from the sky as I add more architectural details to the buildings.
Now to the buildings themselves! I chose DMC floss #712 for the primary color, stitching all but the architectural details in basketweave. More basketweave? Yes, because the facade is a smooth surface, and a decorative stitch would be totally inappropriate here--the intrinsic beauty of these missions lies in the simplicity of their design, so it just makes sense to keep the stitch simple, too.
The top of the bell tower is now complete, with a roof of DMC floss #975 and #3826. The beam below the roof was worked with DMC #5 perle cotton #938 in a gobelin stitch over two threads and the windows in satin stitch with DMC floss #535. The roof of the chapel, side building and wall to the right were worked in a mosaic stitch with DMC #5 perle cotton #434. This combination of thread and stitch provides just enough definition against the sky as well as the buildings below the roof.