Sunday, September 4, 2011

Another lighthouse finish


With the few details at its base completed, Sand Island lighthouse is finished!

You may recall that for the little glimpses of water at the horizon, I used DMC floss #322 in a horizontal interlocking gobelin stitch. For the water in the foreground, I switched to DMC floss #312--one shade darker--to give the canvas a little more depth. This area is worked in a diagonal cashmere stitch which gives the illusion of movement to the water.

The granite blocks which stabilize the eroding island were worked in a satin stitch using DMC floss #647 and 648. Lastly, I added the pilings with DMC #5 perle cotton #310 in tent stitches.

Wishing everyone a happy Labor Day weekend!

6 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Love the water and this lighthouse. Each is different and unique, aren't they? And beautiful and historic.

Cool City Stitcher said...

Another one for my 'favorites' list.. beautifully done!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully executed! And the water really does appear to move like you intended. How many lighthouses does this make? Too many to count for me.

coral-seas said...

I love the sky on this one. I know that several have a needle blended sky but with so much room for this one, the shading is really effective.

The pole on the top makes it look something like a dalek, which makes me smile every time I see it :-)

What do you do with all of the lighthouses when they are finished?

Anne Stradal said...

The finished lighthouse models go to trunk shows and make an appearance every year on our Christmas tree!

Sand Island is No. 97, by the way.

Cyn said...

Looks wonderful!

Beautiful sky and water which really sets off the colors on the lighthoue.

Cynthia
Windy Meadow