Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A marriage made in Sherwood Forest


I admit it--I'm a card-carrying, certified Anglophile! I love practically anything English, and have a house full of various collections to prove it. Pink and white transferware, toby mugs, horse brasses--you name it, I've got it. How many people do you know who can name all six wives of Henry VIII in order? I can!

So it should come as no surprise that quite a few of my cylindrical ornaments are of English origin: Henry VIII himself, King Arthur, the Beefeater, the Yeoman Warder, a London Bobby, Sherlock Holmes and--in the spotlight today--Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, and Maid Marian. Looking for a good movie to rent for Valentine's Day? My pick would be Robin and Marian, starring the late Audrey Hepburn and Sean Connery--great stuff to stitch by!

7 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I'm with you on Henry VIII - I've also read multiple biographies on the wives and have seen all the movies. I love these rollies!! Now you need to do the Plantagenets!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I'm older than you are - I loved the "Robin and Marian" with Richard Greene and Glynis Johns. Much more personality than the newer one.

Love to Stitch 99 said...

I remember watching two series, one was Ivanhoe with Roger Moore and the other one was Robin Hood with Richard Greene. I was infatuated with both actors at the time, silly me :-)

Being friend with Terry, how can I not also love most things British. I am a big fan of the BBC programs. They have so many wonderful series.

As for those cylindrical ornaments, they are pretty cute. That is something I have never done (cylindrical ornaments) but then again there are lots of things that I have never done (grinning).

Pierrette =^..^=

NCPat said...

These are wonderful!

M&Co. said...

These are wonderful! I love all the little stitches you've used without overwhelming any of the pieces.

Front Range Stitcher said...

Darling ornies. Did you do the finishing? I was wondering what is used to fill them, their shapes are so uniform. Cute!

Anne Stradal said...

The finishing on these ornaments was done by Stitchery Square in Camden, Maine. I've worked with these folks for more than 13 years and they're terrific. I suspect the ornaments are stuffed with cotton batting, since they're squishy. Wish you could see the back seams--perfectly aligned!