Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Stash-busting


For some strange reason, the minute you turn the page of the calendar to February, you see hearts. I was reminded of a piece I did several years ago for a Valentine exchange in which I participated for a needlepoint discussion list.

It's a simple pattern: hearts conjoined in rows. Admittedly, I had to purchase the cream Sheep's Silk for the background, since I wasn't sure if I had enough of a neutral thread to carry through the piece. The rest, however, was bits and scraps of other threads--Sheep's Silk, Silk & Ivory, and Kreinik metallic--in pastels of pink, green, lavendar, blue and three overdyes.

How to decide what heart gets what color or what particular thread if it's overdyed? I often use the Knight's move in chess to determine location. Decide on one thread for a section, then for your next section, move two spaces over and one space down--or one space over and two spaces down. It will invariably give you a great random pattern for both color and texture.

For the inside of the hearts, I chose stitches that appealed to me and also fit well within the given area. As I recall, I used Nobuko, diagonal Scotch, Milanese, diagonal cashmere, framed Scotch, framed diagonal Scotch, and Jacquard stitches. But there are tons of other stitches you could use just as easily. I basically used the Knight's move in placing the stitch patterns as well as the colors. The background was done in basketweave.

If you're not into Valentines, consider using a square, diamond, circle or even oval in this way to
create a pattern and then use up your stash filling it in. For smaller design areas, it could be used for a box lid insert; for larger areas, a pillow like mine.

5 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Great strategy in those moves! This is awfully pretty, and in colors I like too. Hearts don't have to always be Valentines - but yes, I saw them too when the calendar flipped over from January.

NCPat said...

Very nice and sometimes it is great to work from stash!

tintocktap said...

Those hearts look lovely! Although hearts aren't a particular priority for me in February as I prefer to make a bigger fuss of my birthday! LOL

Napa Needlepoint said...

Wow! I just love this, great stuff and so inspiring.

Now back to my own stash-busting!

Keep Stitching,
Janet

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Anne,

I remember that pillow. You had really outdone yourself on this one. The person who received it in this exchange must have thought that she won the lottery that day (grinning)

Pierrette =^..^=