Tuesday, June 30, 2009

An Egg well done!

If you recall, way back at the beginning of May, I received an e-mail from Gaile in Wisconsin, asking for help in stitching my Eggs for All Seasons "Candlelight Window." After a 15-year hiatus in needlepoint, Gaile was testing the waters with a painted canvas. And what a treat--the other day I received a picture of her finished canvas. Excuse me, but I don't think Gaile needed any help at all! Look how beautiful her ornament is!

I asked her about threads and stitches she had used, as well as her overall experience getting back into the swing of things. Here's what she wrote:

"Basically the stitches I used were basketweave, straight and slanted gobelin, a few continental where needed to fill in, and French knots for the pine boughs. I have a large stash so I bought only the Petite Very Velvet, which is a treat to work with. For the wallpaper, I experimented with several threads, but liked the way DMC Medici wool looked and so I used that for the background as well as the burgundy crosses and the valance. The white part of the valance is Silk & Ivory. Then I used blue #5 perle cotton for the window frame and woodwork, and white #5 perle cotton for the paneling beneath the window. I had a small bit of red silk which I used for the candle, because the sheen was nicer with it than cotton floss.

"Actually, the stitches just seemed to flow....I've avoided painted canvases because of having trouble deciding where to change colors, and there was no question at all on this canvas. It was a pleasure to stitch, and when it was finished I was a little sorry....hated to see it come to an end. But I love the ornament. It just called to me, and I'm so glad I was able to get it. Now it'll be on our tree for many years to come."

The pleasure was all mine, Gaile! I'm so glad you had fun--that's what needlepoint is all about! This one is headed for my Guest Gallery for sure!

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Gaile did a BEAUTIFUL job on that. It just came back naturally, I think, to her - and I agree that your canvases are so easy to stitch, as they are stitch painted. I quite agree with her also about the ones that are indefinite about where to put the stitches. Shame on these people who don't take care when they're painting.

NCPat said...

I agree with Judy! Gaile did a great job! I hope she keeps on stitching as her work shows that she likes it!

Cyn said...

Hi Anne,

Yes, Gaile did a great job!

Please let her know that we all like her window. :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow