Thursday, June 18, 2009

Paradise Lost


Isn't it funny how things change as you get older? When I was a kid, summer was my favorite season: school was out, and my friends and I could go to the beach, have picnics, and generally chill out. Now summer is my least favorite time of year. The good news is, I live on Cape Cod, one of the prettiest places I know. The bad news is, I live on Cape Cod, one of the most popular tourist destinations in the US.

Little Parker the penguin needn't worry about my usurping his spot on the beach. A) I'm too busy painting; B) I never was a sun-worshipper; and C) I'm waiting until fall, when all the visitors have gone home, to go back to the shore and collect shells.

2 comments:

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Hi Anne,

I am the same as you but for a few different reasons.

First when I was young I was living in the province of Quebec in Canada and summer were nice and cool. We could eat outside and have lots of fun without freezing to death.

Now I live in the south of the USA and it is way too hot and way too humid and I hate summers as I have to stay inside with the air conditioning.

My best time here starts from late fall till early to mid spring. After that, heat and humidity starts showing their ugly heads :-(

I have never been a sun-worshipper either and just like you if I were to live where you live, I would just love to walk along the shore when all the tourists have gone home and collect shells or just take a good book with me, sit down and read :-)

Lovely little penguin, by the way. Almost forgot about him (grinning).

Pierrette =^..^=

Possibilities, Etc. said...

He is a cutie!! I liked the Florida beaches best too in the fall when it was cool and I could pick up sea shells in peace. I'll come see you in September. I too admire your penguin.