Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The fog rolls in


Stitching time has been at a premium lately--too much painting to do!--so progress on the East Chop lighthouse has been slow. The white tower is now stitched, with DMC cotton floss in basketweave, and I've begun the needle-blending technique on the sky.

According to one definition I found, fog is basically condensed water vapor in cloudlike masses lying close to the ground and limiting visibility. So in order to stitch fog, in which the sky is darkest at the horizon and gradually lightens, I have to needle-blend in a totally different thread progression from what I've done before for a sunny sky.

Checking my DMC color card, I found the grayest blue family, and began by stitching the water in DMC #931 in gobelin stitches to simulate waves. Then at the horizon, I began to basketweave the sky--at random intervals over a height of six to eight threads high--with DMC #932. Here's the recipe for the sky so far:

Section 1: DMC # 932 - four plies
Section 2: DMC #932 - 3 plies, #3752 - 1 ply
Section 3: DMC #932 - 2 plies, #3752 - 2 plies
Section 4: DMC #932 - 1 ply, #3752 - 3 plies
Section 5: DMC #3752 - four plies

As you can see from the photo, the gradation of color is very subtle. I'll continue the process, introducing DMC #3753 into the mix as I work toward the top of the canvas.

And why have I worked on some of the grass, and why does it look so muddy? The answer to the first question: I needed something to work on in the car, and I don't recommend needle-blending in an automobile! Too many plies floating around makes it hard to keep track of where you are in the process! I'm actually using a moss green Wildflowers in a diagonal mosaic stitch for the grass, and my scanner loves to wreak havoc with this shade of green!

I'll be back when the fog has completely settled in!

2 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

That grass is suitable for a foggy day. This is really fine!! I'm watching with interest.

Edy said...

Beautiful! You are truly an artist!