Thursday, June 25, 2009

Waiting for reinforcements


Setting plays an important role in the design of the Raspberry Island lighthouse: the tower and keeper's house are nestled in a forest as well as perched on top of a bluff. I realized I was running precariously low on threads for trees and grass, so I'll need to make a trip to my LNS as well as order some threads that it doesn't carry. To keep this project moving along, I decided to stitch the building first with threads I did have available.

The lantern room and roof lines were stitched with DMC #5 perle cotton, which provided additional weight visually against the rest of the building, stitched in DMC cotton floss primarily in basketweave. I'll wait to stitch the metallic tops of the chimneys after the trees have been worked.

1 comment:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Pretty - it's coming to life with that roof! It's amazing how just the twist or spin of the same cotton fiber can make such a difference visually - great (and simple) to work with.