Saturday, April 17, 2010
The Great Wall of Humpty
Humpty Dumpty is finally a well-dressed egg! His pants were worked with DMC cotton floss #444 in a vertical slanted gobelin stitch over two threads. Using black Petite Very Velvet, I stitched his belt in braided knitting and his shoes in a satin stitch. Lastly I added the belt buckle, a Smyrna cross variation, using Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #221.
Now to the wall! For the capstone and grout lines, I wanted a thread that looked somewhat rough. I dug DMC #5 perle cotton #644 out of my stash and began with a slanted gobelin stitch over two threads for the capstone. I'll start filling in the grout lines with tent stitches when I've finished stitching more bricks.
The choice of a thread for the bricks was easy: ever since stitching "Joy to the World" for ANG's Needle Pointers magazine 10 years ago, my favorite thread for bricks has been Sheep's Silk "Lingonberry." The color is just right, and the spacing of the variegation in the thread as it plays out of the needle makes each brick look slightly different from the one next to it. I started working the courses with one strand in a cashmere stitch, and will start adding the vines and flowers when I'm a little further along in my brick laying!