Monday, April 5, 2010
Slight change of plan
I changed my mind about my plan of attack for the Shaker clock canvas: trying to be very, very good, I worked on more background across the top so I could stitch the wooden peg rail.
This peg rail is painted, so I needed a thread with a matte look. I often use #5 perle cotton to stitch wood, but this time the twist in the perle cotton produced too much of a sheen. From the depths of my stash, I produced the perfect thread which I distinctly remember buying 10 years ago!
Matte 18 is unfortunately no longer made by Rainbow Gallery--why, I haven't a clue. I used slanted gobelin stitches for the rail itself, and then scratched my head over what to do for the pegs. These are painted over a single thread, and the dilemma was how to produce a round peg from a somewhat square thread! Duh!--French knots, of course! You may need to enlarge the photo to see them more clearly, but the way they turned out, it really looks like the chair is hanging from the pegs!
Now--on to the clock!