Thursday, March 26, 2009

Belated resolutions


I didn't make any New Year's resolutions for 2009--maybe I should have! On a recent car trip of two hours' duration, I was bemoaning the fact that I didn't have anything to stitch. You can't exactly haul a canvas on 18-inch-square stretcher bars in the car with you, and that's the size of my Kyrgyz pillow. The thought of it between you and the front passenger airbag just isn't pretty. I knew I had an unfinished Egg for All Seasons that I could work on, but for neither love nor money could I find it in the controlled chaos that is my office/studio.

I also had wanted to do a piece of needlepoint to commemorate No. 1 son's graduation from college last May. But like the cobbler's children, who are the last to get new shoes, my poor guys don't even have Christmas stockings. So, to make up for lost time, I asked Gail Hendrix of Squiggee Designs to design an ornament for my son's alma mater. Here it is!

It arrived in no time, and, delighted with my purchase, I went rummaging in the chaos for the appropriately-sized stretcher bars. That was when I finally found the unfinished Egg for All Seasons.

So now approaching the end of March, I've finally made some resolutions: (1) Clean up my act; (2) Never start a new project before finishing the old one; (3) Always have a project handy to stitch in the car: and (4) Finish this college ornament before No. 1 son's younger brother hopefully graduates this December. But being no angel, I figure that three out of four isn't bad!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not start a new project until the old one is finished? That should be the hardest one! I could never do it. I have at least 5 going now.

I love the little ornament and it should be just gorgeous all done up too. Gail is super!

Edy said...

But which 3 out of 4? You CAN'T mean Number 2! Not having > 1 project going at one time is unAmerican!

The ornie is adorable BTW