Friday, March 6, 2009

A magic carpet ride


Today we're celebrating the third anniversary of the closing on our Cape house. The three-year history reminds me a little of the opening of Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities"--"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times." House-hunting in January is never a walk in the park, but we found the pick of the litter, bid on it, and--here we are. It needed a lot of work, something we were used to after transforming more houses than I care to count. So the work began.

The one thing about remodeling a house: the sparkling new additions make the areas you haven't touched look even worse. So after we added a new garage and kitchen, the adjacent family room looked like Poor Pitiful Pearl (anyone remember that doll?). So we redid the family room! And after the metamorphosis, the butterfly needed a new pillow for one of the newly recovered sofas.

So here was my answer: "1,001 Nights." That's the name I decided to give the pillow, and in no way reflects the amount of time it took me to complete it! Based on several oriental rugs we had around the house, I arrived at a composite design and started stitching. The pillow is 12 inches by 16 inches and done in basketweave on 13 count canvas with Silk & Ivory. It provides a nice splash of color against the oatmeal fabric with which the sofa was covered. Its home is also on the sofa which "the girls," our two little dogs, are NOT allowed to sleep. I may be a dog freak, but I'm not totally crazy!

5 comments:

Love to Stitch 99 said...

That must look real nice on your sofa and certainly attract attention :-)

Pierrette =^..^=

Front Range Stitcher said...

Lovely! Now I'd like to see the room where it lives. :) I've used the phrase Pitiful Pearl as long as I can remember, but didn't know she was a doll. Cute.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I remember Poor Pitiful Pearl - my sister had one. After owning lots of elegant Madame Alexander dolls, I didn't want one. I think she was originally from Neiman Marcus - ?? That was one ugly pitiful doll. The pillow is gorgeous!

Front Range Stitcher said...

I digress, when I said, "Cute" I was referring to the name, Pitiful Pearl, not the doll. I found her online and....I agree with Possibilities, etc.'s comment. :)

Anne Stradal said...

Poor Pitiful Pearl was my consolation prize for being so brave having my tonsils out at the ripe old age of eleven. She looked pretty much the way I felt at the time--had a violent reaction to ether.