Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Measure once, count twice





The first step in adapting the Kyrgyz tush kyiz fragment to a needlepoint pillow was to measure the three major design elements: the central medallion, the smaller medallions in the four corners, and the "tulips" at the top, bottom and sides. My goal is to reproduce this design in the exact size as the original.

I raided my stash for suitable threads and found that Silk & Ivory was the only one having all the colors most closely matching the original textile. And since I'm going to stitch the pillow entirely in basketweave, 13-count canvas was called for. So I multiplied the dimensions of the three elements by 13 in preparation for working them on graph paper.

The central medallion and smaller medallions (bottom photos) were relatively easy to figure out, because each has center lines from which to plot the diagonal lines radiating out. Each square on the graph paper represents an intersection on the canvas. I counted and recounted to be sure each section of these elements was the mirror image of the one across from it.

The "tulip" motif wasn't that easy. I made a copy of the photo and traced the tulip design, then manipulated the size on the computer (top right). With the tulip now the exact size, I traced it onto graph paper, making sure my tracing lined up exactly with the lines on the graph paper. I then marked each square so one side would mirror the other and all stitches would fall on an intersection of the canvas, not in a gulley (top left). If you have determined that you're "on target" at this stage, stitching the canvas later will be a breeze!

The next step will be to transfer my graph paper charts as a line drawing to the canvas itself. I'm the type of stitcher who likes to see everything in front of me on the canvas before I pick up my needle!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're showing step-by-step the process you go through for adapting a design to canvas. Adapting art takes time but the results are well worth the time. I'm going to enjoy watching this project!

Love to Stitch 99 said...

I agree, it is so much easier when everything has been well planned in advance.

Good luck with this :-)

Pierrette =^..^=