Friday, January 9, 2009
A touch of gray and splash of yellow
I've made some progress! I worked next on the gray kimono of the central geisha, using Vineyard Silk "Evening Haze." The collar was worked in a gobelin stitch and the back of the kimono in basketweave. I chose DMC floss #414 to stitch the outline of the kimono pattern. The same thread was used for the back of the obi knot in a Smyrna cross, and also for the pattern of the kimono of the right geisha.
Moving on to the yellow areas, I chose Vineyard Silk "Creme de Brulee" for the kimonos. (When I give up my day job, I'm going to apply for the position of "Chief Namer" for some thread manufacturer!) The pattern of the central kimono and collar of the left kimono were stitched in basketweave; the collar of the right kimono was worked in a gobelin stitch. The inside of the figural pattern on the central kimono was worked in Kreinik #12 tapestry braid - #091, which was also used for the Smyrna knots on the right kimono.
The same Kreinik thread was used for the yellow circle of the obi knot and for the pattern in the center circle. I then finished the obi knot with the same red Petite Very Velvet I'd previously used, and rings of black Petite Very Velvet and Kreinik #12 tapestry braid - #002V. I also worked the outside of the right kimono collar in a single row of the gold Kreinik braid.
All that remains to finish the kimonos are the outlining stitches of darker brown and red, and at that point, I'll be able to make a decision on how to approach the background!