Wednesday, November 4, 2009

From mini-sock to Moroccan tile



My little sock was finished in practically no time at all! I followed through with the floral motif, using DMC floss #962 and #3716 for the pink centers. The only real decision involved how to stitch the square at the very center: mosaic stitch or French knots? I concluded French knots might be a little "fussy"--and I am not a "fussy" person--so stayed with the mosaic stitch. I'm happy with the result--the colors remind me a bit of coffee and French vanilla ice cream, my favorites!

Having practiced my mosaic stitches, I can move on to my next project: a Zellig mosaic tile adapted for needlepoint by Jan Fitzpatrick, who has done extensive research into Moroccan culture and crafts after living there for several years. Jan's rugs are magnificent--do go visit her at www.threadmedley.wordpress.com. She's currently showing the pattern for the Zellig tile in the colorway she'll be using for her version.

When I first approached Jan for her permission to blog-stitch this piece, I thought I would rotate it one-quarter turn to make a Christmas ornament for myself. Then I read Jan's post about her using as many mosaic stitches as possible to mimic the look of a real mosaic tile, and I realized I wouldn't be able to do that with a diamond shape. I found the perfect home for the finished piece--a Sudberry House "Laura's box" in a mahogany finish--so will work the project as Jan originally intended but in colors very different from hers.

Being the painted canvas person that I am, I had to mark the canvas first! This took a fair amount of counting, and I may need to adjust the positioning of smaller elements as I stitch, but I'm basically good to go. As you can see, the canvas is marked, not a full paint job--it's just for me and I'd much rather spend the time stitching!

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is great being able to watch you both stitch the tile simultaneously - I like your colors. I would have to mark the canvas too, as I'd rather not have to count while stitching. Takes the relaxation out of it. I like the coffee/French Vanilla look of the sock - FV is my favorite too, and by Blue Bell here in Austin, it's divine!!

Anonymous said...

This is going to be fun! I'm working on the outlines done in the lightest color first and will be posting a photo later today. I know from experience that just changing a few colors can make a huge difference in how a piece looks. Even though it's my design, I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Cyn said...

Hi Anne,

Very pretty stocking!

And yay, a new design to watch you stitch!

I'm a tad behind on my email as DH was sick last week. Catching up this weekend. :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow