Friday, November 27, 2009

A very red lighthouse!

One of the things I was thankful for yesterday was the fact that my eyes are better than I thought! I grabbed the wrong glasses--for distance, not close-up--on the way out the door for a two-hour trip to Boston. But somehow I managed to make some progress on the Jupiter Inlet lighthouse anyway.

The lantern room and railing below it were stitched with black DMC #5 perle cotton to set these areas off a bit from the background. The railing supports were worked in a satin stitch with DMC floss #644. The bright red tower itself was stitched with DMC floss #817 in basketweave. The tiny window is a single cross stitch in DMC floss #317; the same thread was used in a diagonal vertical cross stitch for the panes of the larger window. Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #202HL in tent stitch was used for the beacon.

I also added the tree trunks: in DMC #5 perle cotton #801 for the palm tree on the left, and DMC #5 perle cotton #938 on the right. More perle cotton--#842--was used for the path at the base of the tower.

At this point, only the greenery remains to be stitched, but I see a lot of French knots in my future!

1 comment:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

That is surely a very red lighthouse! Looks good. I'm now waiting for the fine foliage you do.