Sunday, August 15, 2010

December in bloom


With the addition of a lot of blossoms, the model for Judy Harper's December angel is finished!

I had already outlined the narcissus petals with Vineyard Silk Classic "Evening Haze," so filled them in with VSC "Bright White" in satin stitches. The outside of the "trumpets" were also worked in satin stitches with VSC "Creme Brulee." More VSC--"Citron" for the inside of the trumpets and "Dandelion" for the edges--were stitched in basketweave. The stamens were added in straight stitches with two strands of "Moss" Wildflowers on top of the previously worked centers.

For the narcissus leaves, I used Sheep's Silk "Green Leaves Dark" and Impressions #5011 in a combination of stem, gobelin and long stitches.

The holly was stitched in basketweave using two shades of green Fleur de Paris fine mesh velour that I had in my stash. This thread was discontinued by the manufacturer some time ago, but is equivalent in weight and texture to Petite Very Velvet. The blue-green thread contrasts nicely against the yellow-green of the narcissus leaves. I finally added holly berries with DMC floss #816 in French knots.

3 comments:

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I'm speechless - she's much prettier than I imagined, and those flowers are rather incredible. I couldn't have stitched her, myself. Many thanks!!

Cool City Stitcher said...

I agree, she's a beauty. The colors are luscious, and the flowers are outstanding. Beautiful, lovely work.

LIZ said...

Very pretty! And it didn't take long to stitch. Nice choices all around.