Thursday, August 19, 2010
Taking it from the top
Just like the December angel, I began working Judy Harper's July angel canvas from the halo down!
The outside of the halo and radii were worked in tent stitches, then filled in with satin stitches using Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #002V. Then I moved to the face and neck, working these areas in basketweave with four plies of DMC floss #948. I stitched over the eyebrows which had been painted in and skipped the eyelids, nose and mouth. The eyelids and nose were added with DMC floss #754 and the mouth with DMC floss #760. Two plies of DMC floss #898 in straight stitches were stitched over the previously-worked areas for the eyebrows.
For the hair, I chose Silk & Ivory "Chocolate," dividing it into four sections. The bottom sections were worked in satin stitches slanted away from the face, while the top sections are slanted down to either side from the crown.
Per Judy's request, I reworked the top of the bodice to make it less prominent. The same gold Kreinik thread was used here in tent and Smyrna cross stitches to surround the Kreinik #12 tapestry braid #061 "rubies," the birthstone for July.
Now for the dress itself! I've begun needle-blending with four plies of DMC floss #3755, working five horizontal rows of basketweave. I then began subtracting one ply of #3755 and adding one ply of #3325 for each section. When this photo was taken, I had just finished a section with four plies of #3325.
I've a long way to go before finishing the background of the dress, so I'd better get back to work!