Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Fenwick Island lighthouse finished!


Once the tower was stitched, the rest of the Fenwick Island lighthouse canvas was a quick finish!

The sidewalk was worked in DMC #5 perle cotton #3072 in a slanted gobelin stitch over two threads. The grass peeking through the bottom of the fence is Sheep's Silk "Green Leaves Dark" in single tent stitches.

At sunrise, the trees in the background would appear quite dark and fairly indistinct. So I used one strand of Impressions #5061 in a diagonal vertical oblong cross stitch for this area. I think it contrasts nicely with the diagonal cashmere stitch used on the tower.

When I finished this canvas, DH--the instigator of the sky at sunrise--gave it his full approval. He already has an idea for my next lighthouse canvas, but I told him if I work out the details of the lighthouse itself, he'll have to draw the background!

6 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

This is a beautiful design, and I love the lighting effects you created with needleblending the sky. Very nicely done!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is very dramatic and quite pretty! I like the tree stitch - haven't seen that one before. That gorgeous sunrise makes it come to life with the white tower against it.

Front Range Stitcher said...

When I enlarge the picture it shows pure perfection in stitch tension and neatness! The blended background is even more stunning with the lighthouse finished.

Edy said...

Anne -- please email me with where I can purchase your canvases. My DIL is really into lighthouses, and yours are the best I have ever seen. If I can purchase the canvases, and then go back through your blogs, I couls make her a gorgeous set of ornaments for her.
TIA

Cyn said...

Congratulations on another finish!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you that you captured the morning sunrise very well. Wednesday, DH and I were driving to pick up out Boy Scout Camp staffer (yes, he is cam sick...I do believe that young man could live outdoors 24/7-365.) But I digress...at 6:30 AM the Missouri midwest sky looks just like your picture. I thought of you and smiled.