Saturday, August 7, 2010

A heavenly opportunity


I've been doing a lot of canvas painting lately, which doesn't leave a great deal of time to design something new or--even worse!--provide me with something to stitch in the evenings. And, as the members of my family will be quick to corroborate, for me a day without stitching is like a morning without orange juice!

Along came my heavenly opportunity! The incredibly talented designer Judy Harper has recently started work on a series of monthly "Guardian Angels"--lovely canvases which should nicely fill the void of decent angel designs in needlepoint. Up to her eyeballs and elbows in drawing paper and paint. she wrote to ask if I could help her out by "test-driving" an angel. She was looking for a model to demonstrate how a judicious use of simple stitches and threads could create a finished product pleasing to the beginning and advanced stitcher alike.

To "sweeten the pot," she offered me the angel for December--my birth month--and gave me free rein in choosing the colors! How could I possibly say "no"? To see the evolution of Judy's angel designs over the years, visit her blog at www.fairy-crafts.blogspot.com. And to see how I approach stitching this angel, come back and visit soon!

6 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

This "heavenly opportunity" will be a gift to us all, as we watch you stitch this beautiful design. I've been following Judy's blogs and admiring her work for a long time, as well as yours, so this will be a treat. I'm eager to see your color and stitch choices.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Lucky Anne! Judy's angels are gorgeous things, and I know you'll enjoy every stitch.

Jane, with a birthday in April and no angel (hint, hint, Judy!) LOL

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Please excuse the messy white smears - painting out mistakes! I can hardly wait to see what you do to make her beautiful! I couldn't figure it out, myself.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Can't wait to see the colors you select and how you break down the design into little sections for easier stitching. This will be a pleasure to watch!

Edy said...

Looking forward to see how you tackle this wonderful opportunity!

Front Range Stitcher said...

What a great chance for your readers to watch the work of two of the best in the business unfold in unison! Judy's beautifully designed angel along with your creative talents for combining stitch and color on canvas, is something we are all looking forward to seeing. Many thanks to you both!